According to Facebook, users experience frustration after clicking on a link that doesn’t properly load. Moreover, up to 40% of users abandon the website after a three second delay. To improve user experience, Facebook has announced that during the coming months the company will update its algorithms to prioritize websites with faster loading times in the News Feed. Here’s what you need to know about the planned updates:
- Facebook plans to take into account the estimated load time of a webpage that someone clicks to from any link in News Feed on the mobile app.
- Person’s current network connection and the general speed of the corresponding webpage will be considered.
- If signals indicate the webpage will load quickly, the link to that webpage might appear higher in the News Feed.
- Webpages that are particularly slow could see decreases in referral traffic.
- Facebook has created a Best Practice Guide suggesting companies to use free online tools as WebPagetest, PageSpeed Insights and others to evaluate the mobile site performance and make changes to improve its loading time.